It’s a Wrap!
The 11th Annual Alexandria Film Festival closed Sunday, November 12, with record attendance and six award winners:
- Best of Fest Award: “The Weight of Honor,” directed by Stephanie Seldin Howard
- Grand Jury Award: “Tale of the Kite,” directed by Michael Fallavollita
- Special Jury Award: “Nothing to Do,” directed by Mike Kravinsky
- Best of the Region Award: “Her Tango,” directed by Jason Mullis
- Best Foreign Language Film Award: “Saawan,” directed by Farhan Alam
- Audience Award: “The Things They Left Behind,” directed by Sara Werner
More than 100 filmmakers and festival attendees attended the Awards Ceremony and Closing Reception. Alexandria Mayor Allison Silberberg, who noted that the festival is planned and executed entirely by volunteers, presented the awards. “For the past 11 years, the Alexandria Film Festival has brought something unique and very special to the city,” she noted, “It has continually enhanced its presentation, size, attendance, and reputation—it is truly the ‘Little Engine That Could.’”
More than 50 films, as well as filmmakers, producers, screenwriters, cinematographers, film subjects, production professionals, journalists and area film enthusiasts participated in the 2017 Alexandria Film Festival.